Thursday, July 11, 2019

Meat and Potatoes

Commonly Known as Chapter 3

Growing up in a very loving home where your father affectionately referred to your mother as "Lady Kielbasa" it was not much of a stretch to say we lived in a home where food played an integral part of all aspects of our lives.  Special occasions called for special meals or foods or desserts.  The one thing most of these foods had in common, besides that fact that they were yummy, was that they  were devoid of real nutritional value.  Sure there were salads and vegetables but my god I was sure a good dose of broccoli could be deadly.

This home life was compounded by my inherent nature to comfort myself with food.  Sweets, Doritos, French Onion Dip, chocolate milk, and pizza just to name a few.  Growing up obese and medicating with food started me down a path of unhealthy behavior and denial that did much collateral damage as well.

In the spring of 2018, I walked into the office of a nutritionist Dietician I had never met and asked her to teach me how to eat.  Not just teach me how to eat but to teach me how to eat healthy.  

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I asked her to teach me not only what to eat but why to eat it.  Through much work and letting go of a lot of emotional ties to food, I can now say that I am making great progress with regards to my relationship with food.  With the help of my nutritionist Dietician and my therapist I have loosened the grip that food had on me.  I now am mindful of the fact that food itself provides no help in dealing with my emotional issues.

I am not perfect and never will be, and while I still reflex to food as comfort in some situations. I am learning more and more to be mindful and let go.

When I started this quest I thought that my relationship with food was going to be my biggest problem.  I could not have been more wrong. Although it was/is far from easy for me, turning my food habits around was far more enjoyable and then the rest of the issues   

My old friends Coca-Cola and large pizza are left virtually powerless over me. Something I never thought possible.  I have new friends now, the chicken breast and fresh vegetables.  They too are powerless over me, but I don't try to make them do what they were never intended too.

Miked

Copyright 2019 Dunbridge Truckstop Global Media

2 comments:

  1. Nice path, Neighbor. As a Type 1 diabetic, I , too, had to learn to change my eating habits. Like you, it was better than expected, but must retain room and flexibility for bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I am learning about things like moderation and nutrition. Learning that I can survive vegetables. It has been the hardest, most fulfilling thing I have ever done, besides getting married.

    ReplyDelete