Friday, July 10, 2009

Of Mice And More Paradoxes.....

It is funny that I find myself growing older and reflecting on my life's experiences and I seem directly drawn to the parties and good times and the debauchery and the general shenanigans that went on and it is like a dream. It is so far back and so long ago that I have trouble remembering who that person even was. But the common denominator was always alcohol. It was everywhere and we were encouraged to consume ad nauseum. Alcohol for me was just a tool. It was the grease that lubed up an already twisted mind. I can prove this because I have done equally stupid shit stone cold sober. It is now that I have to contemplate the life and times of a college freshman and how the times have changed, or have they? Seems alcohol is still a very important piece of the puzzle, yet our society has gone bonkers in protecting (as if) people under the age of 21 from the grips of alcohol. For me the great paradox here is that I have had some really great times with alcohol, and I believe that it is part of coming of age. (not just 21) I still will never understand how you can go to war and loose your life for this country but you don't have the responsibility to have a beer. This said, I have also witnessed first-hand the negative effects of alcohol and would never encourage someone to start drinking. Life seems full of contradictions like this. I guess I am just fortunate enough to have come out the other side alive and healthy.

Miked

No comments:

Post a Comment